How do I file an ethics complaint?
Follow these steps:
1) Complete and sign the complaint form (supplied by the St. Charles County Association of REALTORS® staff). This form requests you to name the REALTOR® in question as the Respondent.
2) List the Articles of the Code of Ethics that you think the REALTOR® violated.
3) Attach an explanation about the situation surrounding the complaint. Be as specific as possible, referring at all times to the specific Articles of the Code. State what, when, where, why, and how you think the REALTOR® violated each Article.
4) Attach copies of any and all pertinent documents such as listing agreements, purchase agreements, correspondence, etc. If you have notarized statements from witnesses, include those also.
5) Keep a copy for your records and send the entire package to:
St. Charles County Association of REALTORS®
110 Point West Blvd.
St. Charles, MO 63301
The Grievance Committee will then process your complaint. This process may take up to 90 days before you hear whether or not the complaint is being forwarded to a hearing.
What can the St. Charles County Association of REALTORS® do to a REALTOR?
The St. Charles County Association of REALTORS® can administer discipline to a REALTOR®. This would happen only in the case of a violation of the Code of Ethics as determined by an ethics hearing panel. The St. Charles County Association of REALTORS® can use one or more of the following ways to discipline a member:
a) A letter of warning or reprimand to the member
b) Direct the member to attend an ethics class or other training appropriate to the violation
c) Fine the member up to $5,000 (not awarded to the Complainant)
d) Place the member on probation
e) Suspend the membership of the member
f) Expel the member from membership.
An Association of REALTORS® possesses limited authority regarding its members. Note the following limitation:
The St. Charles County Association of REALTORS® cannot charge a member with violations of the Missouri real estate license law or any other law. Its jurisdiction covers only violations of membership duties. The Missouri Real Estate Commission controls the agent’s license to sell real estate. If you think a person has violated the license law, you should contact this agency. The number is (573) 751-2628.
For the same reason, the St. Charles County Association of REALTORS® cannot suspend or terminate the license of one of its members.